La Locomotive

Ville : Carnoules

An 1893 type 4B-9 steam engine with its tender displayed at the western entrance to the village.

It operated at Carnoules when the village was the only depot between Marseille and Nice. Its fleet of locomotives and its workshops provided work for 500 railway workers. The last diesel engines disappeared when electrification of the line was completed in the mid-1960s, and staffing at the depot was gradually reduced until it closed, and the station itself fell into decline.
The old SNCF railway line still exists, testifying to the intense rail activity that brought the village to life for nearly 100 years.