Le Trou des Fées

Ville : CABASSE

The ‘Fairy Hole’ properly known as the Oustau dei Fado or ‘Fairy House’, is a fortified cave, located in a vertical split in a cliff rising above the Issole river, north of the village.

The cave is known to have been inhabited by very early humans, but the structures seen today date from a period between the 16th and 18th centuries.
The village archives show that this cave was primarily a grain store, where the local population was sometimes driven to seek refuge. During the Wars of Religion from 1562 to 1599, the Wars of Succession in Spain in 1707 and Austria in 1745, when Provence was invaded, the villagers of Cabasse stored forage, grain, and even belongings and important papers here.
The fortified wall is 60cm thick and 12m high, while the cave itself is 18m deep and 4m to 5m wide along the whole length of the wall. With a height of 13m, the vault could be arranged on 5 levels. The interior beams supporting the first three floors can still be seen, while in the lower, left-hand section outside, the collapsed cylindrical structure was an oven.
The villagers of Cabasse would reach it via a ladder spanning the 9m from the path, leading to a platform and then the small entrance door, which is only 1.5m high. There are slits for firearms on each side of this entrance door.