Eglise Saint Michel

Ville : LE CANNET DES MAURES

The church of Saint Michel dates from the 11th century. It stands at the heart of Vieux-Cannet des Maures, a listed medieval village built on a spur overlooking the Maures plain.

This church was completed in 1027, and restored in the early 17th century having been damaged in the Wars of Religion. It is a superb example of early Romanesque art.
It has a single nave, low-built and windowless; this has no transept and the choir has no ambulatory. It is built of hewn limestone, and has two side chapels forming a Latin cross. The tower dates from the early 12th century. The side chapel to the left of the entrance was added in 1663. The wrought-iron bell tower was given to the village in 1746, when Pierre Louis de Rascas became Marquis of Le Cannet, and the clock was installed in 1776. Above the entrance door, a consecration stone bearing two small figures surrounding a cross pattée is set into the wall.
The church contains a Virgin and Child carved in fig wood:  a fine piece attributed to a shepherd.
Around the priory, Vieux-Cannet’s ancient alleyways lead to the square with its cistern, the remains of the castle and the city walls, and the communal oil mill. A viewpoint indicator helps visitors to appreciate the view.

Access

Access is from the DN7 between Le Cannet des Maures and Le Luc (the Vieux Cannet road). Parking is available near the 1866 Mission Cross: vehicles are not allowed in the old town.