Le Marché de Noël digital Soutenez les lutins de chez vous !

Notre-Dame des Anges

Ville : PIGNANS

Perched 768m high on the Maures’ second-highest peak, the chapel of Notre-Dame-des Anges was rebuilt in 1844.

A cloister at the entrance has rooms for pilgrims, dating from 1900.
There is one nave, containing a 17th-century Virgin in walnut wood and a number of votive offerings painted on canvas, wood and metal. The oldest dates from 1685, and the most unusual is a crocodile, offered by Jules Gérard, nicknamed ‘the lion killer’. A native of Pignans, he is believed to have been the inspiration for Alphonse Daudet’s ‘Tartarin de Tarascon’ (’The Braggart of Tarascon’). The radio tower near the chapel is a feature of the view from miles around.
From the site, the view extends to Toulon harbour, the Giens peninsula and, across the Maures, to the island of Porquerolles. (viewpoint indicator).

 

Access

Access is from Gonfaron, taking the D39 to the col des Fourches or from Pignans by the resurfaced Cros de Panau track. Walkers can reach the chapel using the GR9 hiking trail from Pignans: for much of the way it follows the Chemin des Oratoires pilgrims’ way.