Notre-Dame de la Vière

Ville : CARNOULES

At a height of 350m, this chapel was constructed between 1819 and 1825 in the remnants of the seignorial (lord’s) residence.

A building adjoining the priory provided accommodation for pilgrims; its lower part is believed to date from the 12th century. The site of Château Royal, the medieval castrum of Carnoules, is located on the hillside.
Provence in the late 14th century witnessed the civil war of succession to Queen Jeanne; the castrum succumbed, and was burnt down and deserted in 1393. There was widespread terror, and it would be 100 years before the Carnoules region was repopulated. At this time, the village was re-established further to the west, and the ruins of the castrum have lain covered by vegetation ever since, with some remnants revealed by excavations.

The view extends from the Maures range to the suburbs of Toulon, by way of the wine-growing plain of the ‘golden triangle’ region (viewpoint indicator). On a clear day, it is possible to see the Mediterranean.

Access

Access is by the resurfaced path to Notre-Dame de la Vière (signposted from the D97). Park on the area of land near the cistern. The site can then be reached on foot by turning left at every junction : allow 20 minutes.
A hiking trail from the village centre also leads to the site.